Mon, 22 Nov|
Portrait Painting Fundamentals
IF YOU LACK CONFIDENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MIXING COLOUR AND SHAPING FORM THIS WORKSHOP WOULD GREATLY IMPROVE YOUR EFFORTS IN THE FUTURE.
Time & Location
22 Nov 2021, 09:00 – 24 Nov 2021, 16:00
Stellenbosch, 87 Dorp St, Stellenbosch Central, Stellenbosch, 7600, South Africa
About the Event
IF YOU LACK CONFIDENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MIXING COLOUR AND SHAPING FROM THIS WORKSHOP WOULD GREATLY IMPROVE YOUR EFFORTS IN THE FUTURE
Taléta will go over the variables of painting a good portrait, starting with the basics.
She will teach the application of the painting medium as she uses it. We move fast and cover a LOT of material in a short amount of time. Note-taking is highly recommended.
Organising the palette
How to organise your palette reflects the quality of work. Taléta will show you how to set up and maintain an orderly palette to avoid mental clutter.Colour Mixing
The most important part of colour mixing is understanding colour. Taléta will explain the principles of colour and the complementary colour.Drawing
You will learn the most efficient method of beginning a portrait. Knowing what is unnecessary can save you a lot of time during this stage.Measuring
Taléta will cover a simplified form of measuring to avoid those costly mistakes further down the line.Seeing
Heading straight for detail can be an irresistible temptation. It is tricky for many beginners. It will be advantageous to be taken through the process and being shown how to set everything up before adding detail.Finishing
Once everything is set it's time to put in the detail.Outcomes:
- Full-Colour Palette: Set up and controlling the chroma of intense colours
- Colour Theory: The difference between warm and cool colour, how colours react to each other.
- Complementary Colours: How and why they work together. The influence of surrounding colour.
- Colours of the face: How to see and emphasise the colour in the face.
- Form: How to get a form so that you create an exact likeness.
The studio is equipped with easels and pallets and medium cups
These are the paint colours that we will use on our pallets.
All Oils must be regular artist oil ….not water-soluble
- Titanium white
- Cadmium yellow
- Yellow ochre
- Cadmium red medium
- Burnt sienna
- Alizarin crimson
- Burnt umber
- Raw umber
- Ivory black
(BRING WHAT YOU HAVE!)
- Brushes I prefer flat #4,6,8,10,12, 14 prime art R130
- Small brushes round for detail #0 - #2
- Pallet knife for mixing
- light brown creta watercolour pencil -
- Artist Turpentine/Solvent, odourless
- linseed oil
(You can order these from me. I need your canvas order at least two weeks in advance)
One primed boxed canvas, make sure it’s primed with gesso.
40 x 50- cm R260.00
One canvas board A4 - R100.00
- Reference material, you'll need 2 prints one black and white the other full coloured - A3 Size
- Cup for your turps ( old peanut butter/ jam bottle works well)
- Baby wipes
- Paper towels
+ZAR 12.50 Service fee
This is a non-refundable admin fee. This ticket secures your place in the workshop
+ZAR 12.50 Service fee0
+ZAR 50 Service fee
This is the full fee for the workshop. This ticket must be bought before the first day of the workshop.
+ZAR 50 Service fee0